How do you deal with intrusive thoughts about bullying or a cruel ex-lover?
How do you treat cyclothymic patients?
Where do distortions come from? And more . . .
Today we answer six questions submitted by listeners like you:
- Harald: How can I find the Show Notes for the Feeling Good Podcasts?
- Kristin: How do you help patients who obsess about past traumatic events, with intrusive thoughts about a cruel ex-lover or bullying by classmates? These thoughts can feed into the idea that their life is miserable and they can’t move forward because they feel blocked by these harmful memories.
- Valentina: How are cognitive distortions, self-defeating beliefs, and feelings of depression transmitted? What you describe in your books seems to describe my mother’s behaviors when I was growing up? Could it be that depression is transmitted by the family?
- Alicia: How would you treat someone with cyclothymic disorder who cycles between euphoria and suicidal depression? He’s happy now, so how do I get him to fill out the Daily Mood Log?
- Kathy: I’m a big fan, and I have a question about “bibliotherapy.” What’s the best way to use your books and other materials to help yourself?
- Matthew: Do you ever use drugs in the treatment of depression? Are medications sometimes necessary or helpful?
Hey Dr. Burns! Quick question, is there any ETA for the new book? I’m really looking forward to it! Thanks!
Hi Matt, Not wanting to get tied down to deadlines, but happily and productively working on it, and not too far from the end. Then will submit to several publishers who have expressed an interest in it. Maybe a year? Not entirely sure. Thanks for the question and for you interest, which I appreciate! david
Fantastic, thanks for the quick response! I think it’s a great idea, as it will allow people to better apply the T.E.A.M. model on their own!
Thanks for the kind comment! david
As usual great Podcast! I love that you are thinking about an app down the road. It would be a great way to get exposure to TEAM approach and the data you collect would be gold. I can imagine it would be chock full of exercises that folks could use and see their progress using the app. Kind of like the Feeling Good Handbook or Feeling Good in that you can measure your progress from when you started the app to when you were free of symptoms, etc.
Keep up the great work and ‘Hi’ to Fabrice!
Thanks Phil, the possibilities are really exciting, but we need some start up funding to create a prototype and see how it performs. I am hoping we can find an angel investor, as I think the type of app I have in mind could be really cool and helpful to folks, just as you suggest! david
Hope you can get the funding, David. You certainly deserve it. I’ll empty my piggy bank.. Hey, do you have a link to your podcast with the REBT folks?
This link might work: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjuLu2yya3E9k6GOe4sr0HQ
WOW! You knocked it outta the park!
Thanks, Phil! david
Hi Great podcast as always.
Fabrice instead of getting one person to tag all the podcasts for you, you could get the whole community to do it in multiple pieces and collate the pieces together. Crowd source style.
Use a google form to setup a randomized survey/questionaire.
Create the quesions you want answers for.
eg. What topic was this podcast on? , Where there any sub topics?
You can have multiple choice answers plus plain text etc.
You can then create different questionaire sets, eg. one for each podcast that can be shown randomly to different people who visit the form link.
You could set it up in one hour and i suspect the task will be completed much quicker and with greater accuracy due to everyone helping out.
Let me know if you want help setting it up if you like the idea.
Thanks, I have passed your suggestion on to Fabrice! d
Great podcast David, listening to this in 2021 and i find it really useful. One question regarding the ‘intrusive thoughts’ do you think that they can be cured using CBT? How will the daily mood log look like if for example you have the same intrusive though every day? I would really like to hear your opinion on that. Any news about the feeling good app?
You are doing a terrific job, i really love to listen to your podcast. Big hugs to you and Rhonda from Rumania.
Thanks! As you probably know, I do Empathy and Assessment of Resistance first, then put the NT in a Recovery Circle and select 15 or more techniques to smash it, as described in Feeling Great. The app is coming along fairly well. Warmly, david